This part of my blog is all about the things I collect or the things I make myself. I love so many things, I paint and draw and want to learn oils and pastels. I knit and crochet but want to learn tatting. I embroider and can turn my hand to most things given a chance. So much still to learn and do. I live in hope of some day reading all my books, learning all I want to learn and now I am learning to blog. You will often find my original poems, poor as they are I offer them here. I also appreciate other people art and will feature things I find that I have enjoyed. That includes pictures of fairies and fantasy or maybe just anything beautiful.
I try to use my own photo's as much as possible, sometimes I borrow from the web. If I inadvertently use your picture without giving credit, please do let me know and I will either credit or remove it, I hope you will do the same with mine.
If you wish to leave comments on my blog you can do that by joining google if you do not have a blog yourself, please comment if you can I appreciate that.


Thursday, September 5, 2013

Eastern dress part 2....................

Who wears a sari? In the history of Indian clothing the sari is traced back to the Indus Valley Civilisation, which flourished during 2800–1800 BC around the western part of the Indian subcontinent. The earliest known depiction of the sari in the Indian subcontinent is the statue of an Indus Valley priest wearing a drape. Buddhist monks wear the equivalent of a Sari but it is the ladies who wear it best. Indian ladies wear it and some Pakistana if they are Hindu, the Muslims do not. The stricter code of body covering is accepted. The Sari should not expose the navel traditionally but the middle is uncovered.

 photo c2794cbc-c2f1-4a10-b2ca-c899df074093_zps5d853e9e.jpg
The fabrics are just wonderfully made. The method of wearing is quite simple really and must be quite comfortable
 photo d250a6d5-685c-47c2-9a63-1a1263daea99_zps68f6faa6.jpg
Not all Indian or Pakistani people are Hindu, some are Muslim and so the standards are different for them.Some wear the burka and that is the most extreme. The face-veiling portion is usually a rectangular piece of semi-transparent cloth with its top edge attached to a portion of the head-scarf so that the veil hangs down covering the face and can be turned up if the woman wishes to reveal her face. In other styles, the niqāb of the veil is attached by one side, and covers the face only below the eyes, allowing the eyes to be seen.
 photo 18bf7828-5011-49a5-98a6-2a7cd887e773_zps0cff431a.jpg
I must admit there are days I would not mind one of those. They are not the norm for most people and does not mean the women are oppressed, its is because of their religion they chose to wear this. However, if I do understand correctly if you are a Muslim, you will not become anything else according to the law. That I do not know a lot about. So I wont talk about that.......this is all about fashion.
 photo c6ce474a-6e96-4fa3-bb5c-2f757f882d74_zps16440714.jpg
Sari inspired fashion on Western women
 photo 774ec4d4-2ffd-4d74-a1b1-977fad55b49e_zps9b1547e9.jpg
 photo 1291c516-a17a-479e-a906-7bd2ff191760_zpsb1661d2d.jpg
 photo e81a8386-8fc0-4e15-8c4c-0d6a1e20cd14_zpsc55aff16.jpg
If you look into the subject of Eastern dress codes and fashion you would be very surprised as to what is out there. It makes you want to try it.
So many countries wear Muslim styles and each are different. The Arab Abaya is simular but not quite the same as some of the others. Each has its own unique style.
 photo c9479860-5fd8-4ba4-956e-11f599b19346_zpsca665dd4.jpg
 photo 874e1860-16c1-4dfa-8118-7a3a9e1d41bc_zpsa6b5c1eb.jpg
Of all the lovely clothes out there, these are all for public wear. At home they dress just as most of us would, some do not but all we can think of is this
 photo 8a2ddf7c-acca-490a-af1c-70a9496e0056_zps790d83a4.jpg
All I am trying to do is to show that there is more to it than that........these ladies are probably just as we would be going around in our sweats and flip flops. Who knows what they wear under this, it is of no concern of any of us............I say let them be. Don't be afraid, just try to understand that they respect their honour, their bodies and their religion and leave it at that. We could learn a lot.

3 comments:

  1. Two things about this way of dressing you would mostly have a vitamin D problem but on the plus side skin cancer wouldn't be a problem.
    The fabrics are very beautiful and so is Indian jewelrey but I live in a area where their are a fair few women who wear this style of dress and most of the time they wear black not so pretty.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you wear black in such hot, desert countries?? White would be better. You are right about the vitamin D problem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post, with many things to think about! I love the pictures! Some of those outfits are truly beautiful! We are all different ;o) If everyone, just smiled and got a long, the world would be better ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment I love to hear from you