This part of my blog is all about the things I collect or the things I make myself. I love so many things, I paint and draw and want to learn oils and pastels. I knit and crochet but want to learn tatting. I embroider and can turn my hand to most things given a chance. So much still to learn and do. I live in hope of some day reading all my books, learning all I want to learn and now I am learning to blog. You will often find my original poems, poor as they are I offer them here. I also appreciate other people art and will feature things I find that I have enjoyed. That includes pictures of fairies and fantasy or maybe just anything beautiful.
I try to use my own photo's as much as possible, sometimes I borrow from the web. If I inadvertently use your picture without giving credit, please do let me know and I will either credit or remove it, I hope you will do the same with mine.
If you wish to leave comments on my blog you can do that by joining google if you do not have a blog yourself, please comment if you can I appreciate that.


Saturday, March 29, 2014

Mothering Sunday....UK.

In England Mothering Sunday Is celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent. It is actually a Christian holiday. Children and young people who were "in service" were given a day off on that date so they could visit their families and go back to their local church. The children would pick wild flowers along the way to place in the church or give to their mothers. Eventually, the religious tradition evolved into the Mothering Sunday secular tradition of giving gifts to mothers. That was what I found on Wikipedia. It has been tradition since the 16th century.
America celebrates at a different time, sometime in May and maybe that's because it has never been a Christian holiday here? More a Hallmark holiday?  photo 4ff62f36-dab5-4ac7-943a-c76233f9aec9_zpsd93d4311.jpg
My mother has been gone now since 1991. She was 71. When I first began work, or I should say when I earned my own money I would often go to Luton market and buy her flowers. This was my favourite combination. Blue Iris and Mimosa. I have never seen Mimosa in the US. I am sure you can grow it in warmer climates than Michigan.
Once I got over here I could never remember Mothers day because here it's in May so it was difficult to remember. Thats not a good reason really. I suppose if I am honest I never really felt like remembering it too often. I don't want to say that we were not close, but........a lot of times we were not. Some day I may write about that. Not today though. Today I am remembering Mothering Sunday and saying thank you for all the good things that we did have. We who are Mothers know that it is not an easy job being a Mother, often thankless. It's easy to remember the things that were wrong in relationships but there really is no point in that. Children do not come with a manual and I believe most Mothers do the best they can within their own personality and life experiences. I know that now my children are grown, now I have gained more life experiences and learned more about life and relationships and how they effect others, I can sympathise more with choices my own Mother made. I can see her as a woman who was not happy in her own life. Well anyway.............Happy Mothering Sunday to all Mothers everywhere. Be Happy.........even if you don't get breakfast in bed or receive flowers and chocolates. Celebrate it yourself you deserve it.

 photo 3a5aab1f-9c26-41ee-8997-0284a24e2482_zps62225fbb.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I worked as a travel agent for many years and I used to call British Airways and would ask THEM when was Mothering Sunday! They always told me!
    The flowers are incredible in England, in the gardens, and of course, the ones they sell at market and from the florists. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice, you are being honest with the relationship with your mother. There is nothing wrong with that! And, I do think, when we get older, sometimes, we understand things more clear. Other times, it's still difficult! Gorgeous flowers! Happy Mothering Sunday ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment I love to hear from you