This part of my blog is all about the things I collect or the things I make myself. I love so many things, I paint and draw and want to learn oils and pastels. I knit and crochet but want to learn tatting. I embroider and can turn my hand to most things given a chance. So much still to learn and do. I live in hope of some day reading all my books, learning all I want to learn and now I am learning to blog. You will often find my original poems, poor as they are I offer them here. I also appreciate other people art and will feature things I find that I have enjoyed. That includes pictures of fairies and fantasy or maybe just anything beautiful.
I try to use my own photo's as much as possible, sometimes I borrow from the web. If I inadvertently use your picture without giving credit, please do let me know and I will either credit or remove it, I hope you will do the same with mine.
If you wish to leave comments on my blog you can do that by joining google if you do not have a blog yourself, please comment if you can I appreciate that.


Thursday, January 14, 2016

Homemade .....................

This evening we had home made, from scratch Broccoli and Cheddar soup. It was so thick and yummy.
I always loved Cheddar and Broccoli and several local restaraunts serve a really good one. I often buy the packaged kind and it's nice enough. I don't like the canned.
I got this recipe off Pinterest and printed it out, but then could not find it again. I am not sure this is the same one but it was just about the same in the end.
 photo 103_2364_zps2x9ho0e4.jpg
I was unsure how it would turn out but it was easy and tasted great.
Panera's Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 tablespoon of melted butter
1/2 medium chopped onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups of half and half (I used thick cream)
2 cups of chicken broth (I used one can)
1/2 pound of chopped broccoli
1 cup of chopped/julienne carrots
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8oz of grated sharp Cheddar cheese (2 cups) I used extra sharp
salt and pepper to taste.

Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of butter then set it aside.
Melt the 1/4 cup of butter and add the flour and stir using a whisk over medium heat, or lower it if it's getting too bubbly. Cook about 3 mins but stir constantly.Then add the cream (half and half or whipping cream if you want it thicker)
Add the chicken stock and simmer 10 mins.
Add the Broccoli and carrots and onions. Cook this about 20 mins. Add the salt and pepper and stir in the nutmeg.
When the time is up add the cheese and stir until it's melted, don't have the heat too hight or it will go grainy. Keep stirring.
Serve with crusty bread.
 photo 103_2367_zpszhrzwfgo.jpg

For a very quick desert I made Lemon Cookies.
 photo 103_2353_zpsoh56iade.jpg

Lemon Cake cookies

One box of lemon cake mix.
8oz container of cool whip thawed.
One egg
and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a bowl.(to dip)
Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray your cookie pans.
In a medium bowl stir together the cake mix, Cool Whip and egg until combined.
This dough will be thick and sticky. Drop by teaspoons into the powdered sugar. Roll and place on the cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 mins (11 was perfect for me)
Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool.

3 comments:

  1. Omg! You chef YOU! PaNERAS broccoli cheese soup, my favorite .!! Just had some last week.
    I'll keep this recipe but probably never actually cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind you I am sure you are far away from MS USA, yet that soup would be a good lunch item and time for talking about antiques and collections. My dearest friend and I used to spend afternoons in MO USA talking over antique stores and art work. Lots of wonderful afternoons. atk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am coming over for dinner and desert! My mouth is watering! Looks so good! Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment I love to hear from you