This part of my blog is all about the things I collect or the things I make myself. I love so many things, I paint and draw and want to learn oils and pastels. I knit and crochet but want to learn tatting. I embroider and can turn my hand to most things given a chance. So much still to learn and do. I live in hope of some day reading all my books, learning all I want to learn and now I am learning to blog. You will often find my original poems, poor as they are I offer them here. I also appreciate other people art and will feature things I find that I have enjoyed. That includes pictures of fairies and fantasy or maybe just anything beautiful.
I try to use my own photo's as much as possible, sometimes I borrow from the web. If I inadvertently use your picture without giving credit, please do let me know and I will either credit or remove it, I hope you will do the same with mine.
If you wish to leave comments on my blog you can do that by joining google if you do not have a blog yourself, please comment if you can I appreciate that.


Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cottage Pie........

Today I did a post on Bluebell Woods about Marmite. I got into other English things like Bovril and OXO and ended with a picture of a "Shepherds Pie"..........A Shepherds pie is made of Sheep meat (lamb or mutton) and a cottage pie is made from beef. I make Cottage pie but call it Sherpherds pie just to confuse everyone.
So this was todays meal. After I wrote that I wanted some and it was a great opportunity to take pictures. So.....here we go. Please do read all the way through before you begin.


First of all you do not need measurements. While I use English products it is not at all necessary and I will go step by step with replacements for those who can not get what I use. Believe me its just as good.

You will need hamburgher meat........today I used about 2 pounds. (a lot of instructions say fry it.... don't) I cover the meat with beef stock and cook it in the stock that I made from 2 OXO cubes and one packet of Shepherds pie mix. If you do not have that then cook it in Beef stock that you buy, I use Swansons.
Bring to the boil and then simmer until the meat is cooked and simmer long enough for the meat to absorb the flavour and a lot of the liquid (but not all of it).

Step one
106_0127a

You will see in the above picture that the meat breaks down but there is plenty of liquid to simmer in
These are the products I used.............But remember, you can use Swansons Broth.
106_0128

Step two
When the meat is cooked and some of the liquid is absorbed then strain the meat through a colander into a sause pan. This is the meat after straining (looks juicy not dry).
106_0129a

Step three

This is a picture of the meat now transfered to a casserol dish.

106_0131a

Step 4
Add your other ingredients....... Baked beans and Veg all is what I used today. This recipe is good to use up left over veggies.

Photobucket

106_0132a

106_0134

When the ingredients you choose are in the casserol with the meat, then mix it well

106_0135a

Step five

Now, the best way and best results come from regular potatoes cooked and mashed. If you choose to do that then they need to be cooking while the meat is cooking. Otherwise instant potatoes work just as well.

106_0137a

After mixing in your chosen vegetables then top with your yummy mashed potatoes. Lots of milk and butter and dont forget the salt. (you know I love potatoes right)Smoothe them out over the dish and then draw your fork through it to make the pattern.

106_0138a

Place this in the oven at 350 or 400 for as long as it takes to give a nice crusty and browned top to the potatoes. Its worth doing it at 350 and cooking about 45 mins or sometimes longer. I love crunchy potatoes. You can raise the temp for a quicker result because everything has already been cooked. Do place your dish on a tray to catch the drips it may bubble over.

106_0139a

There is the gravy that you strained left over........you probably wont need it today, but if you have leftovers you may need it tomorrow (smile) so set it aside an use it with the warmed up leftovers.


106_0136



This was our meal this evening


106_0143

want another look?

106_0144

Any questions feel free to email me....... Espirit46@chartermi.net

Also linking with I should be mopping the floor Mop it Up MOndays
linking with The Clever CHicks Blog Hop........with thanks

Sharing also with Materpiece Monday
Linking up with
Cherished Handmade Treasures

Creative corner hop.

Linking with Someday crafts Whatever goes Wednesday

Linking with Mandatory Mooch

1 comment:

  1. I do the same,Im not fond of lamb mince so use beef,but still call it shepherds pie.LOL
    Looking at your pie has made me feel very hungry.
    It's the best food there is for cold winter nights.
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment I love to hear from you